Get Started Checklist

Before you begin

› First time applying? We recommend contacting our Veteran’s Coordinator Marge Ramsey, or calling 848-932-4708. Please note that the VA benefits approval process typically takes several weeks.

› If you have not chosen a program, please review our VA approved noncredit and certificate programs first.

› Applying for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)? See the bottom of this page.


Apply online for VA benefits

To use your Montgomery (Chapter 30) or Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits (Chapter 33), Complete an online application to the Department of Veterans Affairs.


Once approved, receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

A paper document of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will be mailed to you by the VA upon approval. This process can take up to 4-6 weeks. The COE provides the time and percentage of benefits you have available. A copy of this form is required by the School Certifying Official.


Fax, email or mail COE along with VET Enrollment Verification Certification Form

Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), along with your Veteran Enrollment Certification Form to the School Certifying Official, Marge Ramsey. This must be done for each class or program you wish to claim VA educational benefits for.

Marge Ramsey
Rutgers University Division of Continuing Studies
303 George Street
Suite 606
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Fax: 732-932-7164

Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program Benefits (Chapter 31)

  1. Your VA Rehabilitation Case Manager must provide you with VA form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status). This form will detail the specific guidelines that the university must adhere to for credit approval, payment of tuition, and purchases of school supplies.
  2. Submit a Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification Form for each class or program you wish to claim VA educational benefits.
  3. It is the student’s responsibility to self-identify as a Chapter 31 Veteran when purchasing books and supplies at the university’s bookstores.

If you need additional assistance, please call the VA at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)
to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor or visit them on their website.